UK Courses - Introduction
The Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and MSc in GIS are innovative courses presented to professional standards. They are designed to meet the needs of industry and commerce and will give you an understanding of the technical, geographical and organisational aspects of GIS, as well as hands-on experience. We provide a theoretical and practical background in the design and implementation of GIS projects. Our courses satisfy career development needs and are ideal for in service training.
- Three year MSc programme
- Two year Postgraduate Diploma programmes, with three specialist Pathways
- Complete distance learning units delivered via the Web, including course notes, computer exercises, WWW resources and reading material.
- Online access to the universities' electronic libraries. Membership of the SCONUL academic libraries access system
- Assessment by 100% coursework (NO examinations) and dissertation
- Over twenty years experience of successful distance learning in GIS
- Realistic fees with easy payment methods
- Optional residential workshops
- Key text included in course fees
- Professional software included in course fees
- Credit possible for prior learning and experience
- Tutor support for each unit and for the dissertation
- Online discussion forums for all Units
The UNIGIS UK courses are jointly run by:
- the Division of Geography and Environmental Management, School of Science and the Environment, Manchester Metropolitan University
- the School of Environment and Life Science, University of Salford
Each candidate is registered as a post-graduate student at the University of Salford or Manchester Metropolitan University and upon successful completion will receive a certificate awarded by the university of their registration.The Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma and MSc qualifications offered by distance learning through the UNIGIS programme have the same academic status as conventionally taught courses.
All three departments have established reputations in the field of GIS, and have been involved in the delivery of high quality, professional GIS education for over twenty years. The course draws upon a substantial number of experienced staff and on a record of GIS research and teaching facilities at all three institutions